My Weight Loss Tracker

14 October 2010

Growing Older

I feel like some day I'm just going to wake up and say "what happened?" because I feel like time is going by too fast. We only have say, 80 years on average of life, and by that, I'm over 1/4 through it. I'm 23. The farthest I've been from home was a trip to washington dc. I've never been to college. I've never been out of the country. I've never published a book or sold a drawing so I'm really not a very accomplished artist.

What am I? A single mom who works in retail and is still trying to figure things out. I wish I was one of those "women who come into their power" influential people but I'm not. I'm nobody. In term of influence and power that is. I don't know how people manage to do things sometimes.

Weird things that I never used to think about are now inserting themselves into my head. Work and rent and bills are at the top and things like video games and reading books have somehow worked their way to the bottom. And it's like there's this kid inside, the younger me, saying "hey, I'm still here" but I'm an "adult" now and have to "grow up" and I hate it. I don't want to be all grown up. But on the flip side I don't want to be like my 50 year old pot smoking dad.

I find myself lately trying to figure out why I find teenagers so annoying but then i remember that i found them annoying when I was one too. I wonder if that makes me old, finding them annoying, but then i think about thinks I love. I love playing in the rain and twirling around in falling snow. I love splashing in mid puddles and dressing up in costumes. I love video games and cartoons and going exploring in the trees. And those are not things "stuffy adults" do. So I think I'm safe for now.

I know some people might be saying "23 isn't old" but see, it is toa girl who feels like is was just yesterday she was going to her first day of high school and in reality that was almost 10 years ago. And having a child makes me think about life different. He's going to be 1 next month and it feels like time just flew by. But that's what we do. We get older.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment