My Weight Loss Tracker

01 October 2010

October 1st Weigh In (time to reassess)

The fact that I'm a geek should have come up before this point in this while situation. Weight loss is scientifically proven so why not apply that science? Duh!

Science says that there are 3500 calories in a pound of body fat. That translates to be if you cut your intake by 500 calories a day you will lose a pound a week.
500x7=3500
But the problem with that is pretty obvious with society today. We are gaining weight. So first you have to figure out how to stop gaining (IE figure out the calories it would take to maintain your current weight without gaining or losing) THEN cut the intake from there. Humans are meant to intake as many calories as they burn in a normal day. So to lose 3.5 lbs a week I would need to decrease my intake and increase my activity enough to burn off 1750 calories per day, and that's off of maintenance intake/exercise.

That's a lot. Especially for a single mom working 5 days a week. But ok, that's the science. So what activities burn calories that I could, say, incorporate into my time at work? I spend 8 hours a day 5 days a week at work.

According to a website, going for a moderate paced 4 hour walk pushing a stroller at my current weight would burn almost that many calories, the amount necessary to per week lose 3.5 lbs. Not that going for a 4 hour moderately paced walk pushing a stroller every day is absolutely a realistic thing I could do, but it's nice to know it's an option.

Also apparently as you lose weight it takes more activity to burn the same number of calories. I guess out makes sense that walking for 30 minutes and moving 250 lbs of weight takes more work than walking 30 minutes and moving 150 lbs of weight. So to combat that would it work to like.. Put on ankle weights and things to burn more calories while walking? Like if I put a 5lb ankle weight on each leg and made myself wear those all day at work I'd essentially "weigh" 10 lbs more and burn calories faster? I don't know.

Anyway, I weighed in today at 206.0 and my goal this week was 201.4-200.6 so i obviously failed my goal again. And last friday i was 206.8 so I only lost .8 in the last week. I'm disappointed in myself. But no matter how disappointed I am I am refusing to let that get me down or discourage me. I think. I hope.

I don't know, I think I need to reassess my goals and factor in this new science aspect and see how that works out for me.

Next friday's goal is likely to change so I'm not even going to post it here this week. I'll update tomorrow or sunday with more details.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment